"No mud, no lotus." Thich Nhat Hanh

"No mud, no lotus." Thich Nhat Hanh

A messy collection of thoughts on writing and transformation

Monday, April 18, 2016

A Tumble of Thoughts

Have you ever stumbled upon one of those sections of beach that are a jumble of tiny pebbles, bits of sea glass and broken shells, with minute squares of seaweed strewn in the mix like damp confetti? I love sifting through them for tiny treasures, and the hodgepodge randomness often sorts itself into a pattern when I look more carefully. Jingle shells and mussel shells which are still somewhat intact lie on the surface. Mermaid’s purses and whelk-egg spirals are on the edge closest to the dry sand. Larger stones are underneath, or closer to the waves.

I mention these jumbles because, for the past month or more, I’ve felt as if my brain must resemble one—with less order to the mix. I’m not sure if it’s because I’ve been sick and dizzy from an ear infection, or if it’s the meds I’ve been on to fight the inflammation, but my thoughts have been tumbling around in my head and disappearing like they’ve been caught in the surf and can’t find their way out.

A friend of mine, still suffering from a similar illness, said, “It makes you appreciate how fragile our good health is.” That’s a thought that has been glimmering in the churning waves inside my skull, and today, as the meds are starting to leave my system, I find I can focus on it.

There are many sentiments which express the same idea. “You don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone.” “Nothing lasts forever.” Even “use it or lose it” can apply! But it really all boils down to being grateful for what you’ve got. So today, even though I’m still fatigued and off-kilter, I’m going to focus on what I’m grateful for: my general good health. Oh—and the ability to hold onto the thread of this one thought long enough to see it through to the end of this page!

What are you grateful for today? Let me know in the comments section!

4 comments:

  1. I am grateful for each time you post. It gives me thought and a chance for reflection. Today I spent the day photographing my back yard. These pictures are as beautiful, if not more so, than the photos posted by friends on fancy vacations. See the beauty around you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. +I'm grateful that I can say I'm related to someone like you! I Love You, Frances! Your proud cousin, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always grateful for you, my friend. And my kiddos, husband, and good health. I am constantly aware that we are so lucky...yet I am also thankful for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sal and Julie,
    How lucky I am to have both of you in my life! Sal, your photos are treasures. They uplift me, and it's so clear that you appreciate the world you are in, no matter where you are. Julie, my mom's memories of helping to take care of you when you were a baby were treasures to her and to me. How she loved you! Thank you both for commenting on my blog. Love to both of you.

    ReplyDelete